Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The long awaited 'catchphrase'...

Apparently, there wasn't any. People around the globe were watching breathless for the Obama catchphrase to be on equal foot with the Roosevelt "fearing the fear" or JFK's 'doing stuff for your country' but eventually da man disappointed us on this item; no catchphrase at all... some mentioned his saying about 'pickin' yourself up, dusting you off and get going' was the one we were looking for but I doubt you can make any descent campaign poster with this sentence. I personally liked the following I heard at Katie Couric's CBS news yesterday, unfortunately not by Obama himself, but by a young Brit watching events on TV: 'Suddenly we got a... smart guy running the US'.

Catchphrase or not, Obama's pitch was inspiring. I wish I could write things like that. Short sentences, simple but powerful words, short pauses and putting the right emphasis as we are used of him... no McCain style going to Washington to fix the economy and fire a few bullshit talk; eat your heart out George Walker. My Gosh, I heard he'll be writing a book soon. I hope it'll be print on soft paper and not too expensive to buy as I'd like to get a few copies for our restrooms at home...

Finally, I don't know about you folks, but I found Pastor Rick Warren's invocation pitch phenomenal. Unfortunately, due to the controversy surrounding him, very little positive commentary was made about it on the networks, in both US and abroad. Pity really. Such a shame he's so insanely against gays and lesbians and a shame that most News networks and TV anchors are so petty when talking about him. Especially my favorite MSNBC lesbian anchor, Rachel Maddow. God bless her...

No comments: