Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Every geek's wet dream...

I was window-shopping at MediaMarkt this afternoon and saw the Apple MiniDisplay to DVI convertor. Didn't last long and I had my old 21 inch Cinema Display hooked on the 27 inch i7 quad iMac. With 8G of internal memory and 512 graphics MB, this configuration turned into a dual computer hands down, one running under OSX 10.6 (Snowie) and the second running under Win 7. Now, I don't have much use for my miserable Win install other than one single app that I won't find under Mac ever (that's Microsoft Money). When I need it though, there it is, all driven from the same quad core CPU! If you told me 10 years ago that I'd live the day to see this (performing fast too, mind you) I'd have bet you were nuts. Thanks to Moore's law though, technology moves faster than anyone ever thought possible. In the shot shown here, the main monitor shows Lightroom 3.0 Beta whereas the second monitor shows my Win 7 desktop with its Personalization window. With Lightroom it's also great fun to use a second monitor within the app as well. That gives you a lot more control over your editing work.

If you add to that (to the double monitors, I mean) the "spaces" feature that OSX has generously given us, already there for a few versions now, you get a desktop real estate, just a click away, really huge! More than you will ever need. You can't possibly fill this space for all practical reasons, unless you are one of those sloppy minds who love to have twenty five apps up and running to only use one of them and not even know what the rest are doing lying there on your desktop... I'm rather lucky; I'm the 'empty' desk(top) kinda guy. Know what they say... "sloppy desk... sloppy mind, empty desk... empty mind"!

No comments: